Wednesday, November 19

This, That and the Other

Hi everybody!

I've decided to try to use this blog as more of a blog rather than just a photo stream. And to post about more mundane things rather than waiting for an event or news to write about. I've never kept a journal or a diary and I've always had a pretty strong aversion to putting personal things in writing. I tried a few times years ago but going back even a day or two later and reading what I wrote always made me cringe. So I have practiced avoidance for the last 20 years. But I'm finding it hard to keep up with everyone individually in email. And I'm feeling like a broken record saying the same things over and over in different emails. And some people are definitely getting left out because I run out of time. So here goes....

I finally found some good peanut butter! The supermarkets always have a whole section of chocolate spreads, Nutella (chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate and white chocolate swirl, bla bla bla), Speculoos spread (Speculoos is a kind of cookie), hazelnut butter, almond butter, etc., etc. But peanut butter is virtually non-existent. Mostly, if you do find it it's Jif. Yuck. But after lots of looking I found some at our neighborhood supermarket. Down at the bottom. In the corner. And they actually have two brands, one of which is just peanuts and salt! The consistency is still a little creamy for me but I'll take it!!

I am on day 9 of Ibuprofen and rest for my foot pain. I am supposed to be taking 600mg, 4 times a day. I don't know how that compares to a normal dosage I have a feeling it's a little extreme. But don't worry about my liver, I am terrible at remembering to take pills so most days I have only remembered to take it twice. I have only taken 4 in one day maybe two or three times. And as for rest....well. I've tried. We never borrowed the crutches from Andy's Dad. It just seems unnecessary. I have made do with walking on the heel and inside of my foot so that there's no pressure on the painful part (it feels like it's in the bone connected to my fourth toe). I don't have any pain during the day anymore (sometimes I forget and put weight on my whole foot) but I do notice it still when I first get up in the morning or of I get up in the middle of the night. That is a big improvement though. The doctor said that if it wasn't cleared up after 10 days they would do a bone scan (the x-ray of my foot didn't show anything but he said there could be a hairline fracture that is too small to see). I am thinking that is not necessary. I'd rather give it a couple more weeks.

After some shopping over the last week or two, we ordered a dining table and chairs last night. We had some ideas about chairs: the Phillippe Starck Mademoiselle chair or the Maarten van Severen 03 but were having trouble finding a table. And then we discovered Pastoe and we fell in love with the Trave table (ordered in matte black with an oak top) and the Box chair (ordered in matte black with smooth black leather). To see them on the website, choose english -> collection -> tables (or chairs) -> Trave (or Box). There is an images link in the bottom right corner with more photos so you can get a better idea of what the ones we ordered will look like. We couldn't find an example of the chair anywhere to see it in person but one of the design shops here has an example on the way. (We had to go ahead and order them because there was a sale that ended yesterday.) We did get to see the table. Here it is with the oak top but with a silver frame (and the very popular Ghost chair):



And here are some baby Ghosts...they are so cute and so very scratchable within minutes of letting a three-year-old anywhere near them:



There are two jobs that I am hoping to get an offer for this week. One of them is with ING in Brussels. It is an application support/development position. I've had two interviews with them and both have gone well. They've said that they will be making a deicision soon but I don't know how long it might take. The other is with a consulting firm based in Antwerp. I've had two interviews with them as well and they've said they would make a decision this Monday and let me know either Tuesday morning or tomorrow. I didn't hear anything yesterday so I'm still waiting on that one, too. If neither of those work out, it is back to the drawing board for now. But I am not panicking just yet.

We are getting ready to go to the Dominican Republic for a week on the 27th. We're looking forward to some sunshine and sea. It's a trip that Andy earned through the company where he buys his paints. So we'll be traveling with other clients of that company. Most of the time we'll be on our own but at least one of the days they have a surprise excursion planned for everyone and there is a beach party on the last night.

We've ordered the curtains and blinds for the bedroom but it's going to take a while before they are ready. And the bedside lights haven't arrived. So we are at a standstill on that project for the moment. There is one more coat to go on the special wall but that will probably happen over the weekend. And then we can hang the door again.

OK, that's a good start. I've got some ironing to do now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment