Saturday, November 22

The Day of the Yummy

Today was the Dag van de Smaak which loosely translates as the Day of the Yummy. There were food booths in the Grote Markt and a plan to break a record for the longest sandwich in the world - 1302 meters (1302 is an important number here because Kortrijk won it's independence from France in 1302, and the pub sponsoring the sandwich is named 1302).

Unfortunately the weather is not yummy. Starting last night it has been alternately sleeting, slushing, snowing and/or hailing with pretty strong wind. It's not quite cold enough for anything to stick. Only a little on the rooftops and the cars. You can see on the bottom right that it was 1C when I left this morning:



The tables for the sandwich have appeared but the sandwich (for obvious reasons) has not:



Andy's brother and sister-in-law have a soup/sandwich shop next to the Grote Markt where all the booths were set up, so they had a booth. I helped a little with the setup and then hung out at the booth for a couple of hours. They had to take down some of the tents because of the wind and it was raining, snowing or hailing mixed in with a little bit of sunshine here and there. But we managed to have a nice time. We ate some hot soup with gesmelten kaas and bread and wine, and actually had a few customers. And then I came home because I couldn't feel my toes anymore. You can see the sleet all over the table:



The Belgian Elvis:



Also, I have a video of a self-cleaning toilet that I encountered earlier in the day. I'm going to try to post it but I have had lots of problems posting videos in the past...

No comments:

Post a Comment