Wednesday, July 16

The Broel Tours and The Leie

Last Saturday I spent a little time exploring Kortrijk. I have been to the Grote Markt many times and ventured down streets in all directions but had not really strayed very far from there for fear of getting lost.

But I was tired of wandering around the same streets and decided to follow the river for a while to see what I could find. The river that runs through Kortrijk is called the Leie (as in 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.') in Dutch or the Lys in French. (Everything here has a Dutch name and a French name, i.e. Kortrijk is also Courtrai.)

There are two towers at one point in the river called the Broel tours:





A little ways down from the Broel tours I found a park:



Here you can see one of the WWII memorials:



I watched them open some gates and let in a few small boats:



Although, I don't know exactly what the boats were doing because directly in front of them was this, so there was nowhere for them to go but backwards:



After walking through the park, I walked back on the other side of the river and went to a small museum by the Broel tours:









There was also a small Design Expo on the second floor:







No comments:

Post a Comment