Thursday, October 8

A Year in Belgium

Exactly one year ago today I stepped off a plane and started a completely new life. I sold my house, my car, my furniture, my belongings, and left my family, my friends, my job, my favorite restaurants, pools, hiking trails and basically everything that was familiar. And no, it doesn't seem like yesterday, it seems like ages ago.

I managed to keep the blog going for the first few months, but then I really started to feel the effects of the move. For the first six or eight months I walked around in a daze most days, totally overwhelmed by how much new information I needed to absorb just to get through the day. New relationship + new house + new location + new language + new culture + no friends + no family + driving/visa application/grocery shopping/job interviews/cooking/and don't forget the metric system = total mental and emotional exhaustion. I don't want to make it seem like it was all bad - I've done lots of really fun things, met lots of great people, learned all kinds of new things and done a little travelling. But it was, as was to be expected, a difficult transition. So I had to disappear for a while.

But I am over the hump now, and so I have decided to mark this day with the resurrection of the blog, so that I can catch everyone up on my adventures since the beginning of the year. And so that I can do a better job of keeping in touch.

I am taking a full-time (6 hours/day) intensive language course right now so I don't know how often I'll be able to post, but I am really going to try.

Please know that I love and miss you all and that you have all been in my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment